Benefits of Workplace Health Promotion (WHP) & Corporate Health Programs
Today, approximately 90% of companies in the United States with 50 or more employees report having some form of health promotion or wellness program. Asia is just beginning to realise the massive potential and benefits of corporate health promotion to enhance productivity, employee health and increase profits.
Although it is required by Thai law for companies with at least 50 employees in Bangkok to have a wellness committee and Workplace Health Promotion (WHP) program, a survey showed that most companies are yet to establish a committee and those that that have, are still not effective, nor do they provide a return on investment.
Below is a list of some of the main benefits Employers and Employees can expect from their WHP and corporate health programs.
Benefits for Employers:
- Increased Productivity
- Increased Employee Morale
- Increased Employee Loyalty
- Increased Employee Self Esteem
- Increased Employee Retention
- Increased Organisational Profits
- Improved Communication
- Improved Work Efficiency
- Improved Company Image
- Improved Cohesion among Employees
- Reduced Absenteeism & Fewer Sick Days
- Reduced Health Care costs
- Reduced Mental Errors
- Reduced Disability Time
- Reduced Operational Costs
- Attract & Retain Top Employees
- Positive Return on Investment.
Benefits for Employees:
- Increased Levels of Productivity
- Increased Creativity & Alertness
- Increased Energy & Vitality
- Increased Concentration Levels
- Increased Interest in Self-Care & Personal Health
- Improved Self Esteem
- Improved Weight Management
- Improved Nutritional Habits
- Improved Relationships
- Improved Time Management
- Improved Fitness (such as aerobic capacity, strength, flexibility, coordination & balance)
- Reduced Stress & Stress Management Programs
- Reduced Risk for Chronic Conditions (such as heart disease, hypertension, obesity and diabetes etc)
- Reduced Incidence of Injuries
Return on Investment:
For every dollar invested, companies received:
Coors Brewing Company
Bank of America
Kennecott Copper Co.
Equitable Life Assurance
New York Telephone
The Scoular Grain Co.
Johnson & Johnson